Monday, October 11, 2010

C'est Magnifique

I wish I was a better food writer. After you finish reading this blog, you probably will as well.

I won't do the food justice, nor the genius behind it, but I hope the team at L'Escalier at The Breakers in Palm Beach will forgive me for the below roundup of my recent dinner at the legendary restaurant.

Friday was my first time ever at The Breakers, and obviously my first time at L'Escalier. What a spectacle. Water was poured simultaneously into the glasses by the synchronized wait staff. The master sommelier, Juan Gomez, stopped by each table to discuss the pairings. Too bad everything he said was like Greek to me. Him trying to explain the science behind why he paired this wine with this meal as oppose to another one from the restaurant's vault of wines was like me trying to explain sentence syntax and the inverse pyramid to an illiterate. And yes, to Juan, I was clearly illiterate.

Someone at the Friday's dinner table summed it best: "I can't describe the food, but I know it tastes good." Ditto, I say. Ditto.


First course was a "caprese" salad. I use quotation marks around the word caprese solely because the L'Escalier menu did the same. I guess they were trying to say it wasn't really a caprese but instead a "caprese." Nonetheless, it was awesome. I don't know how they did it, but the white circular balls were mozzarella filled and literally exploded in your mouth after pressing your lips together. Don't worry, no deaths were reported at the dinner.

The Peekytoe Crab dish
Served with Argyros Assyrtiko, Santorini, Greece, 2008

Cauliflower Veloute
Served with Puligny-Montrachet "Vieilles Vignes," Vincent Girardin, Burgundy, France, 2006

Colorado Lamb
Served with Buil & Gine "Baboix," Montsant, Spain, 2006

Master sommelier Juan Gomez, one of two master sommeliers at The Breakers

The genius, chef de cuisine Gregory Vassos

1 comment: